Eating Humble Pie at McDonald's
I don’t really follow pro basketball, so the current NBA lock-out doesn't bother me at all. It amazes me-- the minimum wage in the NBA is $473,604 for a rookie and $1,069,509 for a six year vet. I’m sure the NBA owners make a ton of cash, but it is hard to feel too sorry for any of these guys. I did have a little fun at Labron James’ expense yesterday. I was reading an article on the NBA labor dispute where the writer quoted Proverbs 16:18, “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.” For some reason that made me think of Labron James and his commercial for McDonalds, so I cobbled together pieces of two You Tube videos—
Predicting 7-8 championships is a lot easier that producing championships. Someone suggested that Labron James has a cell phone that only vibrates—no rings! OK, enough poking fun at Mr. James; he may yet win his bunches of championships… if he ever gets to go back to work.
The only reason I can’t make the same point on pride form my life (or yours) is that (thankfully) our bouts with pride and arrogance have not (yet) been posted on You Tube for our viewing pleasure. The verse quoted by the sports writer is just one of many Proverbs than warn of pride--
- Prov 8:13 - “I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech”
- Prov 11:2 - “Pride comes, then comes disgrace, with humility comes wisdom”
- Prov 13:10- “Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice
- Prov 14:13- “A fool’s mouth lashes out with pride, but the lips of the wise protect them.
- Prov 21:4- “Haughty eyes and a proud heart— the unplowed field of the wicked—produce sin.
- Prov 29:23- “Pride brings a person low, but the lowly spirit gain honor.”
Why all of these warnings? Because you don’t have to be a millionaire athlete to struggle with pride! We all do. And it is dangerous in ALL of us!